With the work from home in effect, we all have been Sitting for Long Hours for our work. However, this habit of ours can cause high blood pressure and increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and Cancer. We have always been told that sitting for long hours be it at a desk or in front of the screen or may be behind it, can be harmful. Also Read: Health Problems During Monsoon? Prevention n Care
There are very simple reasons for the effects that we can understand and relate to. When we sit, body is using less energy as compared to standing or moving. There are research’s that have linked sitting for long periods at a time with several health concerns. These include Obesity and a cluster of conditions — high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol levels. Prolonged periods of sitting also seem to increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer. Also Read: Actor Singer Vishal Anand of ‘Chalte Chalte’ fame passes away at age 81 after prolonged illness
In fact, as per medical Experts, there are several studies that have linked the health risk factors with sitting time, Let’s say a person sat for more than eight hours a day with no physical activity will have similar risk to by those faced by the obese or smokers. Therefore, it is conclusive that sedentary lifestyle is a danger to your life. For a healthy life you need to reduce the amount of sitting or laying down during the day. However, it easier said than done. With pandemic effect most of us are confined to our homes and WFH has in fact increased our working time. This has led to multifold increase of our sitting time, which in turn has increased the health risk. Also Read: Heart Attack: Change these 4 lifestyle habits to reduce the risk
Our bodies are basically built to stand
All our body functions, or at least the major ones, work more efficiently when we are standing for example Our heart and cardiovascular system work more effectively when we are in standing position. And so does our bowel function.
Similarly, sitting for long or being inactive for prolonged hours can be very harmful to health. Here is the list of the health side effects of sitting all day:
- Sitting for long time can lead to weakening of the leg and gluteal muscles. These muscles play a major role in walking as well as stabilizing the body. If these muscles get weaker, we become prone to getting injured from falling as well as exercise.
- We increase the risk of Heart Attack, Sitting for longer hours leads to metabolic problems. Thus the body absorbs and digest less fats and sugars we eat. If digestion is not as efficient, so the body will retain those fats and sugars.
- Hip and joint problems: Sitting causes our hip flexor muscles to shorten, which can lead to problems with hip joints. Sitting for long periods can also cause problems with the back, especially if one consistently sits with poor posture or doesn’t use an ergonomically designed chair or workstation. Even if you exercise but end up spending a large amount of time sitting, you are still at risk of health problems such as Metabolic Syndrome.
- Cancer: Emerging studies suggest that the dangers of sitting include increasing your chances of developing some types of cancer, including lung, uterine, and colon cancers.
Stay Active & Healthy Even During Work from Home
Age old saying staying active will keep you healthy. Its simple when you are active physically, the overall energy level as well as your body’s endurance capacity improves. It also helps to keep you bone’s healthy and maintain strength. Here are some simple yet effective ways you can avoid sitting for Sitting for Long Hours even while you work.
- start by simply standing rather than sitting whenever you can, even while working.
- Take a break every 30 mins from sitting.
- Stand or walking while watching TV
- Can try using a standing desk work or may be with a high table or a counter.
- You can try to position your work surface above a treadmill : so that you can be in motion throughout the day 😊
The impact of movement, even leisurely movement, can be profound. For starters, you will burn more calories. This might lead to weight loss and increased energy levels. Also, physical activity helps maintain muscle tone and leads us to overall mental well-being. Also Read: Do Face Masks lead to over exposure to CO2? Here’s what the latest research says
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Stay tuned to Badbola Entertainment for the latest scoops, Photos and updates from Bollywood, Hollywood, TV-Shows & Web-Series. More on Lifestyle, Health and Recipes.
Click to join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.